Saturday, February 25, 2012

Post-It Notes Are Pure Evil!

Post-it notes used to be some of my best friends. Let's face it, they come in lots of pretty colors, many shapes and sizes,  teacher's love office supplies, and they practically scream, "You don't have to make a commitment if you use me."  As previously posted, a really long time ago I might add, I don't do commitment and follow through very well.    

Who knew that a small yellow note that started its existence as a hymnal page marker could have come so far and become sooooo evil.  It has become a trickster, a deceiver, a giver of false hope.  How can this be you ask.  Well, let me tell you.

Whenever I sit in a meeting or listen to a sermon or read a book, I will mark information that strikes me as interesting or noteworthy with a post-it note.  I have many books with post-it notes sticking out from pages all crushed and wrinkled.  They lull me into a false sense of action. 

Sadly, I have become a "Post-It Note Christian."  (Thank you Tammy from Common Ground for the phrasiology.) I love God.  I want to serve him faithfully.  When I go to church, I go expecting God to meet me there.  And He does.  God speaks through His people in mighty ways.  I am inspired, uplifted, convicted, challenged, and called to action.  I furiously write down powerful words and phrases on my post-its so that I don't forget them; so that I can do something with them later.  Some of those post-it do make their way to my bathroom mirror, where they will stay until they get steamed and fall off.  By the way, making it to the mirror is a big deal because each day I am reminded of God's word as I wash, brush, and admire.  However, most don't make the mirror.  They stay in my bible or rainbow clutter up my notebook. 

Lately, and for much of my life, God has been calling me to stop being so undisciplined, get out a pen or better yet a permanent marker, and just do it whatever it may be that God is calling me to do.  We are called to action not note taking.

Dear Lord,
Help me to not pencil you in, post-it note your word or put a pin in it to save for later. 


Let's Put A Pin In It
Watch below for a brief scene from Bolt about putting a pin in it.  Cute!




James 1:22-24
22 Do what God's teaching says; when you only listen and do nothing, you are fooling yourselves. 23 Those who hear God's teaching and do nothing are like people who look at themselves in a mirror. 24 They see their faces and then go away and quickly forget what they looked like.




No comments: